Join the ‘One Green Label’ Digital Coalition!
We are calling on you as sustainability front-runners in the digital sector, across the entire supply chain, to join the ‘One Green Label’ Digital Coalition and propose an EU-wide mandatory green label.
On the 30th of March, the European Commission will present a legislative proposal including rules on labelling the environmental impact of a product. The Commission is looking into using the Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) method, specifically the Product Environmental Footprint (PEF). Details of the exact methodology will follow later than the proposal and are often decided by expert groups.
The big question for this legislative proposal is whether the European Commission will make the assessment and labelling of the environmental impact of products (with LCA's) mandatory or voluntary.
We believe that mandatory labelling of the environmental impact is perfectly possible and necessary:
- To make the digital transition a sustainable one.
- To enable consumers and businesses to make informed sustainable choices in a way that is verifiable, comparable and trusted
- To create a level playing field for businesses aiming to become sustainable
Unfortunately, there is already a strong lobby from the mining and fossil industry arguing against mandatory labels, because it would be "impossible for SME's".
That is why it is very important that we as sustainable front-runners speak out as digital sector in the EU, so we make our voices heard and position ourselves as a partner to legislators.
We have to show EU policymakers that mandatory green labels are the best and only way forward to make the digital sector green, and that it is possible and desirable, not only for bigger companies but also for SME’s.
By joining this coalition, we will let them know through a letter that they can discuss with us how to make our sector more sustainable, including the technical standards necessary. You can find this letter below.
Digital growth and sustainability can go hand in hand. We are counting on you to join the ‘One Green Label’ Digital Coalition today! Sign up on the sheet on the right side.
Any questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: this coalition is open to all businesses, including SME's, operating in the ICT-, e-electronics and digital sector on the EU market or along the supply chain.
Time for mandatory product green labels
Dear EU regulators / Members of the European Parliament / Dear Commissioners,
On the 30th of March, the European Commission will present a legislative proposal on substantiating green claims. The Commission is proposing the introduction of the ‘Product Environmental Footprints’ (PEFs) as a Life Cycle Analyses (LCA) standard. This will ensure all environmental reporting for products is standardised, fair, and comparable. The question for the 30th remains whether they will make the impact labelling of products (with LCA's) mandatory or voluntary.
We, the undersigned ‘One Green Label’ Digital Coalition, urge the EU to make a unified product lifecycle methodology mandatory.
In our goal to accelerate the sustainable digitalisation of the European economy, we must ensure it is accessible for all citizens – and minimise our environmental impact.
One mandatory, harmonised eco-label would:
- Clear indication on how to reduce the environmental impact of their choices
- Transparent, reliable and comparable sustainability claim
- Assurance of product health and safety
Benefit (SME) companies:
- Insights and tools to improve sustainable product offer to reach climate and circularity goals
- Create a level playing field by one norm
- Less investment to apply for and less communication on different green certifications
- Distinguish products from direct imported products without label
Benefit the EU and the planet:
- Better insight where to invest in the value chain to reach climate and circularity goals
- A label makes it easier to enforce import restriction on direct import
- Supporting sustainable digitalisation within the European community
It is essential that Europe, a world leader in sustainability, prioritises strict enforcement of this label. Doing so will guarantee a level playing field with non-sustainable products that are imported into the European common market.
Mandatory PEFs (LCAs) are essential, perfectly feasible, and beneficial to both the environment and Consumer Electronics (SME) businesses.
We encourage you to take a stand and make green claim labels mandatory. We will willingly contribute to the elaboration of this legislative proposal.
With kind regards,
‘One Green Label’ Digital Coalition
[signatories of companies]